The filing period for City Council Seats will open on Thursday, May 14th. The filing period will close on Friday, May 29th. Due to current public health orders, the applications will be available in the entryway to City Hall in Thursday, May 14th and Friday, May 15th. On Monday, May 18th, packets can be picked up at the City Clerk’s office in City Hall.
Applicants may file with the City Clerk’s office. There is a $25 filing fee that is paid at the time of application.
The election year of 2020 will make available three (3) full-term Council seats, and one partial-term Council seat. The partial term will complete the last two years of a four-year vacated term, which will expire January 2, 2023.
- Ward I (4-Year Term)
- Ward II (4-Year Term)
- Ward III (4-Year Term)
- Ward III (2-Year Term, expiring January 2, 2023)
Qualifications are as follows
- Candidates for Municipal office must be a registered voter and a resident of the municipality and ward which he seeks to represent (W.S. 22-23-301) and will have resided in said ward for at least one (1) year next preceding his election, if so elected. (W.S. 22-23-103(b))
- Pursuant to W.S. 6-10-106, a person convicted of a felony is incompetent to hold any office of honor, unless he has had a complete and full restoration of rights, not just voting rights.
- Applicants should ensure that they are not holding an office which may conflict, or be incompatible, with the office for which they are filing; and, their employment is compatible with the office they are seeking.
- Applicants will be required to file a Statement of Contributions and Expenditures report with the County Elections Office, which will be included with their Candidate Application Packet.
- Also, applicants should ensure that they are not holding an office which may conflict, or be incompatible, with the office for which they are filing, and their employment is compatible with the office they are seeking.
For more information, contact the Gillette City Clerk at (307) 686-5210.